Church of St. Michael - Parish Office 218-935-2503

 

History of our Parish Community

Mission Statement and Goals

Mass Schedule

Church Staff

Weekly Bulletin

May 28, 2017

May 21, 2017

May 14, 2017

Diocesan Letter May 2017

Arvig insert for School

Catholic Advocacy insert

Partners in Faith April 2017

St. Michael's School Box Tops

Link to Catholic Advocacy Network

Census Form - Parishioner Enrollment

 

 

June 2017 Calendar

Liturgical Year

Church Groups

Cemetery

St. Michael's Cemetery Regulations

Sacraments

Saint of the Day

Links

Diocese of Crookston

Vatican

Contact us

Liturgical Teams - Winter

        St Michael's Rectory        120 W Jefferson Ave        Mahnomen, MN 56557            218-935-2503 

Safe Environment Program

      St. Michael's began as a Mission built by Fr. Aloysius Hermanutz, OSB, parishioners and a few carpenters from St. John's Abbey.  The mission was located a 1 1/4 miles from the present town site of Mahnomen.  When the White Earth Reservation lands were opened for possible sale, many Catholics of German descent moved to this area from Stearns County, MN.  Because of the rapid growth of the village of Mahnomen, the mission was moved to town and placed on the present site of St. Michael's School.  Fr. Julius Locnikar, OSB, was appointed the first resident pastor on July 24, 1908.  A rectory was built south of the church which is now the home of the Benedictine sisters.  In 1925, Fr. Charles Cannon, OSB, arranged for the building of a basement church.  The old church was converted to a four room school, in 1930.  In 1937 the school burned and our present school was built that same year.  In June of 1951, the church was completed and in July our current St. Michael's was dedicated by the Reverend Francis J. Schenk, Bishop of Crookston.  Benedictine priests from St. John's Collegeville served as pastors until 1971.  Then diocesan priests began serving as pastors.  Currently there are over 400 households attending St. Michael's.

St. Joseph's is located 3 3/4 miles south of Beaulieu, MN, which was a Trading Post.  94.4 acres of land was donated in 1874 to establish a parish cemetery.  Mass was being said in a house located there.  In 1895 St. Joseph's Church was built, being named after a favorite Saint of the Chippewa Indians.  In 1900, the first resident Pastor moved in.  Census showed 90 families along with about 500 parishioners.  In 1906, the Clapp Act passed which granted mixed blood Indians the privilege of selling their land allotments.  This led to an increase of the number of European descendants to settle here as farmers.  Over the years, many hardships were encountered.  One of them being the numerous unsuccessful attempts to establish a water well on this property.  In 1922, parish census recorded 38 white families with 376 members and 36 Indian families totaling 232 members.  By 1933, 2 Masses were being celebrated to handle those attending.  Finally in 1935, at a depth of 306 feet, a water well was established.  This brought on the installation of a bathroom.  Over the years, additions and remodeling projects took place on this property.  In 1966, the Parish obtained land title to the original donated 94.4 acres.  In 1972 the first Parish Council was established.  Then in 1982, Fr. Eugene Wesely from St. Michael's Church of Mahnomen, was also assigned to St. Joseph's Church of Beaulieu, thus forming our Parish Community.  St. Joseph's endured throughout the years due to many parishioners who have donated their time and labor toward the upkeep of the church.  Currently serving 105 families.      

                                                        Back to first page

 

      Church of  St. Joseph

GPS Coordinates

Latitude N47 18' 29.7"

Longitude W95 47' 52.8"


Mass Schedule

Church Staff

Cemetery

Cemetery Rules & Regulations

Church Groups

Sacraments

Contact Us

Safe Environment Program

St. Joseph's Liturgy Schedule Apr.-June 2017

St. Joseph's Fall Dinner